Wanted: Kick-Ass Developer for Tech-Driven, In-Home Massage Company
Massages? You seriously expect me to apply for a job at a massage company?
Yeah, we do. Here’s why: the tech is hard. We’re optimizing matches between supply (therapists) and demand (achy backs) in real time along hundreds of dimensions: client preferences, therapist location, availability right now vs. in a few hours, you name it. Huge companies have been built on optimizing the supply chain — Amazon and Dell come to mind. The tech is fun, too: we’re using mobile devices’ capabilities to the max.
So yeah, we expect you to want to work at a “massage company”–and love it.
Zeel’s customers use our mobile apps (iPhone and Android) and web site to book Massage On Demand®. Think Uber for massage.
Our customer pushes a button on her phone and in as little as an hour, a licensed and vetted Zeel Massage Therapist) shows up at her door ready to deliver a top-quality massage. For the customer, it’s magic; for us, it’s fun and gratifying.
We’re revolutionizing the massage industry — vastly increasing the number of massages customers get by making it simpler and faster to than ever before to connect with a licensed professional.
Our ideal candidate is a developer strong in both front-end and back-end development who’s looking to get in on the ground floor of a start-up. You will play an essential role in shaping the company’s success, as Zeel’s code — your code — is critical to the core mission of helping consumers get massages when they actually need them, ultimately leading us to predict when the customer needs massage before the customer even realizes it. Our founders have staked significant capital and time to prove that this idea can become a $1 bil (annual revenue) global business and are determined to succeed, as they have with Vault.com ($75 mil exit to PE in 2007) and Dotmenu ($50 mil exit to GrubHub in 2011).
You’ll have an opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects, lead development and design, and grow with a small team of developers using cutting-edge technologies. We’re a dedicated team that often moves ideas from brainstorming sessions to implementation while still in the brainstorming session. Your work, therefore, will have an immediate and visible impact in the real world.
This is an in-house full-time position that includes:
- Development of APIs for use with mobile apps
- Front-end development for the web site and Phonegap mobile app (currently used for the Android app)
- Database models, query optimization
- Potentially some server administration and monitoring
- 2+ years of professional experience
- Kick-ass coding skills: we expect you to be smart and driven and to jump into PHP and the Kohana framework we use to maintain, refine, and grow our amazing product
- Designing, coding, and maintaining REST APIs
- MySQL (architecture, querying, optimization, stats and analysis)
Ideal other experience:
- Kohana or a similar MVC framework
- Experience with iOS and/or Android apps
- Server architecture/administration (Ubuntu or other Linux on Rackspace Cloud in a load balanced architecture), server/application monitoring with Newrelic.com or similar tool
- Unit testing and CI
Tools and technologies we use:
Apache, MySQL, MongoDB, Memcache, Kohana, Git and Github, phpUnit, jQuery, Chef, Grunt, Sass, Smarty, Require.js, Coffeescript, Bootstrap, Phonegap (Android App), Objective C, Twilio, Authorize.net, Sendgrid, Sailthru, Newrelic
- No vacation policy – take what you need to recharge; then come back and build
- Relax in luxury: generous subsidies for Zeel massages
- Stock options at an early stage startup
To apply to this position, email email@example.com with a cover letter, resume, and the subject title Developer.