Sr. UX Designer
You are a passionate, independent, self-motivated, creative professional, capable of adapting quickly to a fast-paced, Agile-based environment. You have an amazing ability to break complex or abstract concepts and tasks down to its simplest form. Clutter and complexity is your mortal enemy. You live and breathe to solve unique interaction design challenges for touch UI as well as click UI. You are extremely adept at designing interfaces for all sizes and orientations and can thoroughly think through a problem and design an elegant solution. You value user research, and thinking about problems from the user’s perspective is what motivates you to come up with creative solutions. You have a curiosity and drive to seek out opportunities to innovate new UI but understand when it’s best to utilize standard UI patterns. You notice the details even when others don’t. You are very comfortable presenting your work and articulating your intentions and design reasoning to engineers and fellow designers, and you welcome constructive feedback and input.
You’re looking to revolutionize digital education products not just evolve them. You’re on top of mobile trends and technologies including cloud and social. You’ve already shipped web products or applications in your career you are proud of and are looking to solve complex problems that will enrich the lives of our users. You are humble and always eager to learn new skills as well as willing to mentor other team mates.
Yuzu is seeking a Sr. UX Designer to join our team of passionate and talented designers dedicated to creating best-in-class, education products and applications. We need a creative and methodical interaction designer to blend intuitive, focused and elegant designs in our education products to make our experiences feel simple, intuitive, productive and empowering. This is a full-time, on-site position, located at our Mountain View office.
- Designing web interfaces for our education products that address complex business, marketing and user needs related to the education space
- Rapidly developing user flows, wireframes, low-fidelity visual mock-ups, low-fidelity prototypes and documenting functional specs
- Establishing consistency across all products and enforcing standard UI patterns and guidelines
- Contributing to multiple design projects at any given time
- Partnering with Product Management, Engineering, Design, and QA to ensure a shared UX vision
- 6+ years of designing interactive web and mobile application UI
- Proven ability to work independently as well as partner with UX counterparts in cross-functional teams across the organization; strong collaboration and relationship building skills
- Exceptional communication skills and good presentation skills
- Understanding of information hierarchy is critical
- Detail oriented and able to detect small issues that make all the difference within complex architecture flows
- Being able to understand and read 1-2 coding languages. Ideally able to put together simple algorithms
- Expert knowledge of a standard wireframing / diagraming software such as Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure, Visio, or Illustrator
- Must have a portfolio of examples with previous work including wireframes and flows
Nice to Have:
- Specific experience with touchscreen, iOS, Android and Windows 8.1 highly preferred
- Advanced level proficiency in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Icon design, interactive prototyping or motion design, Cinema 4D, InDesign
- BA or Masters degree in HCI / User Interface Design related studies
- Familiar with the development cycle and is capable of providing multiple solutions to engineering problems
- Strong sense of visual aesthetics, with a clean and uncluttered approach to design
Barnes & Noble is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. M/F/V/D
Education is transforming. Traditional content is being augmented by open content, desktop learning is transitioning to mobile learning, standards are being replaced by measured outcomes. Digital Education, in all its forms, is at the center of this transformation and Yuzu is an exciting incubator at the center of Digital Education. Created expressly to lead the transition, develop new ideas and innovative products, transform and disrupt educational content delivery and to support student learning, Yuzu is positioned to seize the incredible growth opportunity in the nascent digital education market. With direct channel access to 25% of students in US higher education, unique academic publisher partnerships, Yuzu will lead and thrive as the leading education digital content and technology company. Yuzu has teams in Mountain View, Seattle, New York and New Jersey, each specializing on core areas of educational technology and each enjoying the open and entrepreneurial feel of a start-up with the support and funding of a larger corporation.