The Yuzu team is looking for a skilled User Experience Designer with a broad range of experience to join a team of passionate and skilled professionals engaged in shaping the experience of a next-generation learning tool. We’re looking for someone creative and ambitious, an individual who is equally at home creating complex workflows for a variety of platforms or developing graphic design to apply to that workflow.
This is a full-time, on-site position located in our Mountain View offices.
You are self-motivated, curious, and articulate. You understand the dependencies between teams involved in software development, and are engaged in helping your department fit into the overall structure and process of the organization.
You’ve been part of a team that has shipped software for a variety of platforms, including mobile (with a bonus of working in the education market). You have experience with using your design and user experience skills to make complex actions and concepts transparent to the user.
You have an eye for detail, and an appreciation for UX and graphic design as it fits into the ecosystem of collaborative software development.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for designing, conducting, analyzing and reporting on user research and usability testing for existing and prospective Yuzu products and features
- Collaborate with Product Management and UX leadership to design work that meets user needs and that enhances the functionality—and indispensability—of the product
- Work with our User Experience Research team to develop the most appropriate and effective solutions possible
- Work with our Engineering team to integrate design solutions with engineering solutions and workflow
- Develop user flows, wireframes, low and high fidelity mockups and prototypes
- Develop graphic solutions for user experience needs that span a variety of devices: touch, keyboard/mouse, mobile and traditional
- Work to develop and maintain product graphic standards
- Work effectively on a number of projects at any given time
Skills and Abilities:
- Highly developed people skills—the ability to collaborate across groups with diverse specialties, and the ability to connect and work with users in a one on one environment
- End to end knowledge of the software development process
- Understanding and experience with integrating user research design into the software development process
- Excellent writing, communication, and reporting skills
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement functional, intuitive, and elegant interfaces and features
- Ability to solicit and implement constructive feedback from team members and internal customers
- A good story about collaborating across different disciplines and groups to create a great result
- 6+ years experience in user experience and graphic design for software products, 3+ years designing mobile products
- Experience designing for the iOS, Android, and/or Windows 8 platforms
- Experience with standard prototyping and design tools
- A portfolio demonstrating the above skills, showing a breadth of experience, problem-solving skills, and an understanding of project-appropriate aesthetics
Good to have:
- Education field experience
Education is transforming. Traditional content is being augmented by open content, desktop learning is transitioning to mobile learning, standards are being replaced by measured outcomes. Digital Education, in all its forms, is at the center of this transformation and Yuzu is an exciting incubator at the center of Digital Education. Created expressly to lead the transition, develop new ideas and innovative products, transform and disrupt educational content delivery and to support student learning, Yuzu is positioned to seize the incredible growth opportunity in the nascent digital education market. With direct channel access to 25% of students in US higher education, unique academic publisher partnerships, Yuzu will lead and thrive as the leading education digital content and technology company. Yuzu has teams in Mountain View, Seattle, New York and New Jersey, each specializing on core areas of educational technology and each enjoying the open and entrepreneurial feel of a start-up with the support and funding of a larger corporation. Barnes & Noble is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. M/F/V/D