theSkimm is a service that helps people be smarter about the things they should know. Today, theSkimm is one of the fastest-growing email newsletters on the market, with unprecedented engagement and growth. We’ve redefined the morning routine for female millennials by delivering news and information with a distinctive voice and format. Tomorrow, we’re becoming the first company to turn news into a lifestyle brand. Our next step is developing a truly unique mobile experience that builds upon our voice and the trust we’ve built with our audience. We want you to be a key part of the beginning of our journey.
Our Growth Engineer Skimm’r will work closely with our growth and engineering teams to help realize our vision for data infrastructure and business intelligence tools. This position is a three month contract-to-hire role, focused on helping us hit our growth goals for newsletter subscribers.
- Are an experienced engineer who wants to work in a collaborative environment to help grow the company.
- Have a proven ability to work with varied forms of data infrastructure, including relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL), NoSQL databases (e.g. Mongo), and column store (e.g. Redshift, MemSQL, HP Vertica).
- Have experience working with email and the limitations that come with it.
- Have expertise in building and maintaining reliable ETL jobs.
- Are comfortable connecting homegrown data with third-party analytics tools (e.g. Event-based tools like Mixpanel or Heap)
- Are familiar with Ruby/Ruby on Rails or similar languages/frameworks.
- Have strong CS fundamentals.
- Are also able and willing to to be Skimm HQ DJ on occasion.