About the Gig:
The Top Hat Platform provides software tools to make teaching more interactive, fun and engaging.
We’re looking for a hardcore test engineer to lead our verification team into the future. This role will be one of complete ownership of the user experience. We want to be able to prove that the software is working as intended, and react quickly when it’s not. Our automated tests are far from complete, and we need somebody to poke, prod and make it break in ways we haven’t even thought of yet.
- Come work here because we’re making a dent in the universe
- Come work here because we have a brilliant team
- Come work here because we care about software craftsmanship
- Come work here because we don’t take ourselves too seriously
- Come work here because we care about and iterate on our development process
This role will also include stressing out the application through intensive load testing. We want to know exactly how our system will behave under massive load. If stress testing, drip testing, smoke testing, and dark testing are terms that jazz you up, this could be a match made in heaven!
This is a development position. You’ll need coding chops to keep up with the rest of the team. This is also a leadership position, managing and mentoring our existing testing team.
There are few key things that we look for:
- You need to be very smart and able to learn quickly
- You need to have at least a few years of automated testing experience (through work or personal projects.)
- Ability to manage the testing team to produce superior automated tests
- Write and maintain integration tests in Python using Celery
- Write and maintain a load testing framework.
- Manage the complexity of testing infrastructure and focus your efforts on the important things
- Evolve our current Continuous Integration system to be more robust
- Gather data from production systems to diagnose undiscovered problems
- You should be comfortable with most of the following:Passion for writing good unit tests (preferably in Python or Ruby)
- Previous experience writing automated integration tests (Cucumber or Lettuce)
- Previous experience writing load tests with JMeter or something even better!
- Passion for strong, stable, fluid user experience
- Previous experience with Continuous Integration systems (Jenkins, TravisCI, CirlceCI)
- Automated unit and integration testing
- We think the best sign of a good Test Engineer is interesting projects they’ve done on their own time, not just things they were assigned by their boss or in university. So please showcase any cool side projects, open source contributions or community involvement.
About Top Hat:
Top Hat is a high-growth education technology company; we provide tools to make teaching more interactive, fun and engaging. Top Hat helps professors make every lecture count by transforming mobile devices into powerful classroom engagement tools.
We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, thinkers, and creative geniuses. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us.
The life of a Top Hatter in the engineering team comes with other sweet perks too:
- Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart, highly motivated & stoked to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
- We have hackathons, where developers get to spend time working on ideas they are super passionate about.
- We offer breakfast and catered lunch every day!
- Oh, and did we mention StarCraft Streetfighter throw-downs at lunch?
- Conveniently located right by College & Yonge and we can help subsidize your metro pass.
- We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named #1 of the Top 50 Companies to Watch by Deloitte Consulting!)
- Our dress code is casual and we hope you’ll get behind our Top Hat traditions of Plaid Tuesdays and Tip Top Fridays!