Datto is seeking an experienced software engineer with strong leadership and mentoring skills who desires “hands on” development as an ongoing part of their role. The role requires an engineer well-grounded in software-engineering fundamentals, experienced in Agile development, and able to make practical business tradeoffs to deliver maintainable, well-constructed and crazy-useful software for our end-users.
We are the fastest growing technology company in Connecticut, with an established development office in Boston (formerly Backupify). We specialize in backup and disaster recovery solutions, and we are the leader in our space. Our offerings include backups of cloud applications and this role is focused on continued development of those cloud-to-cloud backup products. Datto is trusted by thousands of organizations and millions of end-users to securely and reliably backup their business data. With over 100 petabytes of data under management and a fast-growing customer base, we continually challenge ourselves and our architecture to reach new levels of scalability. With our agile methodologies, small-team organization, fast-paced development and innovation-focused values we offer the benefits of a startup culture within a profitable company of 400+ employees.
Day to day work includes coding from the position of team lead, participating and leading design and code reviews, and actively mentoring more junior team members in both software-design and implementation. You’ll participate in architectural direction and have the opportunity to own and lead the design and implementation of new features and improvements. We’re continually re-evaluating our architectural needs, so an experienced engineer is needed to help make informed decisions about new technologies that can scale and how to transition legacy systems.
- Our technology stack makes extensive use of Ruby, Redis, Cassandra, and PostgreSQL.
- We use Agile development processes and test-driven development techniques. We’re always experimenting and improving our processes based on what works well for the current size of the team and the current challenges in front of us.
- Some of our engineers use Mac OS X with Vim, some others use Linux with Sublime. We believe that engineers choose the best tools that work for them.
- We offer great, competitive benefits including an excellent health-plan, dental, vision, 401(k) and unlimited vacation.
- Yes, we have a ping pong table and all the coke zero you could ever want.
Desired Experience and Skills
- 7-10 years of professional experience delivering production software
- Significant experience working within a SaaS model
- Background managing large data stores
- Prior experience with large-scale systems / deployments
- Experience with big-data, NoSQL DBs or MapReduce
- Understanding of encryption and data security standards
- Strong hands-on engineering skills
- Well versed in Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Management or team leadership experience
- Comfortable at a Linux prompt
- Solid understanding of Git
- Excellent knowledge of server side and backend best practices
- Engage with TDD and BDD regularly
- Technical team-leadership experience is a must
Datto® is the leading provider of comprehensive data backup, recovery and business continuity solutions with over five million customers and 8,000 partners worldwide. With its Total Data Protection Platform business data is protected everywhere it resides, whether on premise, in virtualized environments, in the cloud, and software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications including Salesforce, Google Apps, and more. Datto stores over 100 petabytes of cloud data worldwide for businesses ranging from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses. Datto’s core technologies such as instant virtualization, Screenshot Backup Verification™, Inverse Chain Technology™, Backup Insights™, and end-to-end encryption are the cornerstones of its innovative solutions. Industry firsts also include 24/7/365 in-house tech support, white glove customer success support, and time-based cloud retention, that empowers its partners with predictable cloud billing. The Datto product line consists of the Datto SIRIS Family, Datto ALTO Family, Datto NAS and Datto Backupify.