ÄKTA is looking for a talented Sr. User Interface (UI) Designer to help lead our team of designers in working with strategists, architects and clients alike. ÄKTA works within the space between product strategy and interaction development and with a broad spectrum of clients, from high-profile startups to publicly traded companies, on UX design projects ranging from mobile devices to web applications (but, we’ll design for anything with pixels). This position is perfect for someone who is interested in creating trends and thrives on the details.
We would love to chat with designers who have real-world experience as a team lead, have performed all forms of design (branding, print, digital), but really have a passion for mobile application design. The ideal candidate should be an expert in creating design patterns and elements, as well as textures, typography, and the nitty-gritty details. Experience designing standard web sites is certainly desirable, but more importantly, this candidate must be experienced with mobile application UI design (not just responsive mobile web sites). The ideal Sr. UI Designer will:
- Possess the maturity and experience needed to mentor junior talent and help further define our UI practice.
- Have significant experience designing for mobile applications (iOS & Android) and be familiar with the technology behind the design.
- Be passionate about design as an iterative process and be flexible enough to weather critique and explore more than one way of doing things.
- Be able to clearly communicate the thought behind your design to internal teams and clients.
- Have experience in presenting work to clients for feedback, but also know when to gently push back and defend your work.
- Have flexibility to work both with and without strong client brand guidelines, full or templated wireframes, and with front-end developers to bring designs to life.
- Be positive and enthusiastic!
- 5+ years experience as UI designer
- Impressive visual portfolio, with a demonstrated focus on mobile application design
- Strong understanding of technical constraints and UX best practices, in mobile and web technologies.
- Strong ability to estimate/scope the design portion of project engagements
- Experience in planning and leading internal design initiatives
- Expert proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Photoshop) and experience with other standard applications
- Excellent organizational, presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented, flexible and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor!
Job Perks: Casual, downtown Chicago office; ping-pong on demand; 100% paid employee medical and dental benefits; lots of fun out-of-work activities; unlimited time off policy.
Culture and attitude are super important – let us know some things about you outside of your passion for design!
To Apply: Include a link to your portfolio/Dribbble that features your best mobile UI design work along with your application.
We're founded on three core principles: First, a healthy obsession with authentic quality. Second, an unwavering commitment to the satisfaction and happiness of our clients and their users. Third, an awareness of, and appreciation for, the constantly evolving market that keeps us focused on designing agile, useful products with a long lifespan. ÄKTA is a digital experience and engagement consultancy that works with leading global brands and emerging growth companies to discover new opportunities, define intelligent user experiences, design innovative digital services and bring successful products and applications to market.