About Science Exchange:
We are a small team working to improve the quality and efficiency of scientific research. We are well funded and fast growing.
As part of our team you’ll have a big impact on our mission from the moment you start. You will be joining passionate and talented folks who have great fun working together.
Our Engineering Team:
We are a group of builders from diverse backgrounds. Our work style is supportive and collaborative.
As a software engineer at Science Exchange, you will:
- Develop new features for our main application, the Science Exchange marketplace (a Ruby on Rails app).
- Contribute to internal tools that help us scale our processes as we grow.
- Share the responsibility for keeping our codebase robust and pleasant to work with.
- Build sites and tools to support our validation-related projects, such as the Reproducibility Initiative.
- Collaborate to plan work, do code reviews, and improve our practices and processes.
- Participate in recruiting and interviewing.
- Have fun learning with us as we grow and change the scientific collaboration landscape.
- This position has a backend or full-stack orientation. If you are interested in a frontend or UI-focused role, check out our UI Engineer opening.
Your Qualities and Qualifications:
To be a good fit for our team, you must be:
- Proficient with the fundamentals of programming, especially as they apply to web development.
- Familiar with modern web development technologies and paradigms.
- A strong learner, with the capacity to grow and adapt.
- A good communicator and collaborator.
- Passionate about building useful things.
A bonus (but not a requirement) is familiarity with some or all of the following topics:
- Web development frameworks, like Django or Ruby on Rails.
- Front-end frameworks, such as Ember.js, Angular.js or Node.js.
- The Ruby programming language (our current language of choice).
- Databases, especially SQL and its feeding and care.
- Interest or experience with scientific research.
Salary and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary in the $90k – $120k range (depending on candidate’s experience). We offer full benefits and other perks, which you can read about on our main jobs page.