The UX and UI design team at Rent the Runway offers a very unique role, as we face complex business challenges that have yet to be tackled by other retailers – allowing for true creativity and out-of-the-box thinking in our design principles.
The ideal candidate is an expert in UX, design practices, and eCommerce; but is also passionate about pushing the needle on new and original design concepts.
We are looking for a leader who has the skill to not only to manage the product design, but the ability to apply a user-centered design practice with the team.
The Head of UX and UI Web Design role will focus on managing a team of UX and UI web designers responsible for the overall user experience of our cross-channel platform (desktop, mobile web, mobile apps, and retail integration), as well as growing the team as the company continues to grow.
- Manage a team of UX and visual web designers. Set clear goals and manage projects and allocate people accordingly.
- Be THE evangelist for UX and UI best practices and design excellence across the entire product line and platforms
- Define interaction flow and make aesthetic decisions for the design and technical execution
- Willingness to explore and present multiple design directions, with a focus on a beautiful and easy to use experience that WOWS
- Ability to collaborate with product, UX, and technology to align on key goals and openly discuss feedback
- Constantly listens to our customers and adjusts direction based on their needs, including user testing
- Passionate, organized, smart, engaging, driven
- Friendly, inspirational leader who is eager to contribute to a culture of innovation and excellence
- Ready for new design challenges, and excited by the idea of defining patterns that belong to new models of eCommerce
- Design-obsessed with a deep knowledge of current patterns, trends, and best practices
- Incredibly empathetic toward customers, and fascinated by human behavior
- An expert at complex workflows and interfaces that appear simple and intuitive to an end user
- Thoughtful – you never make a design decision without zooming out to consider the impact on the overall experience
- Thrive in a fast-paced startup: multi-task and switch gears when needed, enjoy thinking on your feet
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 7+ years of work experience
- Experience in managing and building a top notch team
- Exceptional portfolio with a focus on both desktop and mobile experiences
- Experience working in a Consumer Facing and eCommerce environment
- Deep understanding of design – typography, composition and color theory
- Strong understanding of user-centered design processes
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator a must)
- Familiar with Agile/Scrum methodology
- Experience with analytics tools is a plus
- Understanding of responsive design is a plus
- Familiarity with desktop, mobile web and/or iOS development a plus
- Light understanding of CSS is a plus
About Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is revolutionizing fashion by allowing women to rent thousands of designer dresses and accessories. We focus on convenience and a top-notch customer experience on all our platforms, including online, mobile, and retail locations in New York City, Washington DC, and Las Vegas. With styles from more than 270 top designers, Rent the Runway introduces women to new brands and gives them the opportunity to have an endless closet. Our fun, dynamic team is filled with passionate go-getters who dream big, execute their ideas, and deliver an incredible experience to our customers.