ABOUT The Role:
We are looking for a strong Product Manager with an established background in developing inspired content management systems and web apps, a strong technical acumen, solid business judgment, great communication skills and a motivation to over-achieve. You’ll work on stuff that really makes a difference: creating technical products and tools for our editorial production staff and freelance writers, as well as creating custom products for each of our content verticals.
Our ideal Product Manager has a passion for designing and building innovative products. You are obsessed with finding creative technology solutions to address user and business needs, including those related to content management and production.
ABOUT Your Responsibilities:
- Product Vision: working with a team, create a roadmap of products and features, as well as incremental improvements that contribute to the vision for how the products will work and what problems they will solve for your users and the business
- Product Development: as a product owner, work with cross-functional, agile teams to develop, launch, optimize, and maintain/retire products; make the call on desired product functionality, approve designs, and make real-time decisions to ensure that we are on track to meet business goals
- Customer Focus: create solutions for users first; research what your users might want or need and lead usability testing to ensure we are creating products for them that are as intelligent and functional as possible
- Metrics: know what the right metrics are and track them for each product; slice data regularly to understand how users interact with the tools, how the tools support the business; be on top of the competitive landscape to ensure that we are leading with innovation
- Communication: document and communicate product requirements (user stories, briefs, wireframes, etc) that are clear, thorough, timely and convey the desired functional experience to all internal parties; be the product SME from a functional perspective, showcasing, championing, and finding ways to constantly innovate user and advertiser experiences
- Leadership: act as a leader to cross-functional, internal teams so that they are excited, motivated, and know what is expected; effectively evangelize the product vision with various stakeholders throughout the company
ABOUT Your Qualifications:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of product management experience
- Experience with techniques to develop the right minimum viable products, as well as optimize existing products through prototyping, user testing, and multi-variate testing
- Experience with techniques for customer discovery, including interviewing and opportunity assessments
- Detail- and results-oriented, able to write the right level of specs and analyze data to justify product decisions and apply key learnings
- Strong understanding of UX principles and applications
- Solid understanding of how products get monetized, particularly in an ad-supported environment
- A strong communicator and team collaborator, with great written and verbal skills
- Knowledge of technology and understanding of the product development cycle; experience in an agile environment a plus
- Experience with a large-scale, content-driven, ad-supported website and/or mobile site a plus
- Collaborative and a great teammate that’s fun to work with
About.com is by far the largest network of expert content on the internet, providing nearly 90 million monthly unique users with outstanding, intent-driven, actionable information. A top-10 US website as measured by comScore, we feature over 3 million articles, across 11 verticals including Home & Garden, Health, Travel, Food and Style. We are the premiere expert-driven resource on the web, with nearly 1,000 topic-specific experts.