ZocDoc needs a Principal Engineer to drive our elite dev team toward an even brighter future. This role is for a highly experienced engineer with a tireless devotion to good system design across the entire stack. From data storage/retrieval/manipulation to consumer APIs and client template renderers, you’ll care deeply about all of it and push us toward perfection. We love our work (Crain’s has named us a Best Place to Work in NYC for 3 years running!), and we need you to help us do it even better – that means mentoring your peers and being a thought leader for the whole team. We also love our teammates! We want someone who’s excited to join us for beery (or wino) Fridays, semiannual weekend Hackathons, and the occasional TF2/MTG marathon.
- A passion for huge, scalable systems (i.e. you read HighScalability for fun) and stellar design (i.e. bad design makes you physically ill)
- Focus: Be able to follow a design through implementation and release.
- Insatiable attention to detail. If something works and you don’t know why, you should be A) alarmed and B) driven to investigate.
- Exhaustive understanding of inversion of control/dependency injection. You should be able to design, implement, and unit test a system with ease.
- Mentorship: Not satisfied with just getting the job done, you should really enjoy helping your peers hone their skills.
ZocDoc is the beginning of a better healthcare experience for millions of patients every month. Since 2007, we’ve worked to fix broken systems that get in the way of good care by uniting modern patients and doctors. It began with some bad news we’ve all heard before. After ZocDoc’s founder suffered a burst eardrum, the doctor couldn’t see him for four painful days. He was left wondering: If we could buy everything from hand soap to airfare with a swipe of the phone, why was healthcare so different? And why had we come to accept our powerlessness as patients? The idea for ZocDoc was born then, and we haven’t stopped building since. With ZocDoc, you can see doctors’ open appointment times and book instantly online – no more phone calls, and no more month-long waits. But better access to care was just the start. Trying to find a neighborhood physician who meets your needs? With ZocDoc, it’s as simple as it should be. You can also make informed choices with verified reviews, stay on top of important checkups with tailored reminders, and more. And those pesky waiting room forms? Fill them out online – just once – and you can use them over and over again. Of course, your healthcare experience probably isn’t perfect yet. That’s why ZocDoc will keep dreaming solutions up and rolling them out. But no matter what, our mission will remain the same: give power to the patient. We simply believe there’s no better way to deliver the great healthcare experience we all deserve.