What you’ll do:
- Provide guidance on systems design, architecture, and analytics infrastructure to support big data technologies and distributed architectures.
- Analyze business requirements for database design, and implement changes to databases as necessary – including database design optimization for machine learning
- Mentor your peers and be a thought leader for the whole team.
- Partner with our Data Science team on metrics and insight development
- Curiosity: A passion for huge, scalable systems and databases (e.g. you read HighScalability and KDNuggets for fun)
- Strong understanding of core architectural principles such as modularity, restorability, parallelization and table driven business rules
- A good understanding of information delivery architecture, including creation of abstraction layers, SQL query paths and optimization, report level calculations, and end user reporting architecture
- 2+ years of data-specific engineering experience in addition to the 3+ years of general engineering experience
- Experience with SQL Server and Data Warehousing is a plus
- Experience designing and implementing fast and efficient data processing using ‘big data’ processing techniques and tools (e.g. MapReduce)
- Experience implementing the latest technologies (Hadoop, NoSQL, Vertica, etc.), using scripting skills (Pig, Hive), and with virtualization across platforms like AWS
- Education: A Computer Science or related degree preferred
- Focus: Be able to follow a design through implementation and release • Insatiable attention to detail: If something works and you don’t know why, you should be A) alarmed and B) driven to investigate!
ZocDoc is the beginning of a better healthcare experience for millions of patients every month. Since 2007, we’ve worked to fix broken systems that get in the way of good care by uniting modern patients and doctors. It began with some bad news we’ve all heard before. After ZocDoc’s founder suffered a burst eardrum, the doctor couldn’t see him for four painful days. He was left wondering: If we could buy everything from hand soap to airfare with a swipe of the phone, why was healthcare so different? And why had we come to accept our powerlessness as patients? The idea for ZocDoc was born then, and we haven’t stopped building since. With ZocDoc, you can see doctors’ open appointment times and book instantly online – no more phone calls, and no more month-long waits. But better access to care was just the start. Trying to find a neighborhood physician who meets your needs? With ZocDoc, it’s as simple as it should be. You can also make informed choices with verified reviews, stay on top of important checkups with tailored reminders, and more. And those pesky waiting room forms? Fill them out online – just once – and you can use them over and over again. Of course, your healthcare experience probably isn’t perfect yet. That’s why ZocDoc will keep dreaming solutions up and rolling them out. But no matter what, our mission will remain the same: give power to the patient. We simply believe there’s no better way to deliver the great healthcare experience we all deserve.