Polaris specializes in consulting and technology solutions for pharmaceutical companies. We are at the forefront of the industry in terms of delivering technology through innovation fueled by our entrepreneurial culture.
Polaris employs over 200 people worldwide, and has been in business for more than 14 years. We are a truly global firm, speaking more than 25 languages. We are headquartered in New York City, with additional offices in Amsterdam, Boston, and San Francisco.
Learn more about our company and culture: http://polarismanagement.com/culture/
New York City management consulting and technology firm is seeking aJunior Accountant to help manage the next stage of growth.
The successful candidate will have 2+ years of general accounting and operational experience in a rapidly growing small or mid-size professional services firm. Our professional firm operates in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment. In addition to helping our growing finance team, Junior Accountant would assist with some office coordination duties.
- Perform month-end close activities by entering cash receipts, wire payments, and journal entries (payroll, credit card reconciliations, etc). Complete month-end closing within following 30 days.
- Process monthly billings in accordance with terms set in SOWs/MSAs per company’s schedule as well as on demand. Work in close partnership with project managers by proactively obtaining necessary billing documentation including signed contracts, purchase orders and client acceptance. Close billing cycle by the 15th of the following month. Maintain clear status update on billing activity and related issues, proactively follow up with stakeholders.
- Prepare Accounts Receivables Aging schedule on semi-monthly basis with the clear list of issues and action points, proactively following up with internal and external clients. Monitor and find ways to reduce DSO (Days Sales Outstanding). Reconcile actual monthly billing results to the company’s accounting system (Deltek) and report to senior management team with the clear list of open items. Complete before the beginning of next month.
- Prepare revenue and sales forecasting report as part of bi-monthly reporting package for senior management. Provide necessary data and explanations with advance notice for FD to review.
- Review and process vendor payments on semi-monthly basis. Accrue invoices in the company’s accounting system in appropriate periods upon receipt. Maintain running list of accounts payables. Avoid late fees charges or delayed services due to AP issues.Propose savings and cost cutting measures.
- Review and process employee expense checks, adhere to and enforce company policy on expenses. Conduct periodic employee training on time & expense policy. Ensure all expenses are paid according to schedule and per company policy. Accommodate busy schedules and deadlines of company’s senior leadership.
- Issue purchase orders according to company policy upon approval from the requesting project manager. Ensure PO issued within 24 hours of request.
- Enter offshore vendor’s invoices into Deltek in appropriate period and track against opened purchase orders,verify work completion and final approval from Dev Manager and PMs. Ensure invoices are properly and timely accrued in the accounting system.
- Open project codes and update information in accounting system. Ensure projects are approved before codes are opened in Deltek, enforcing company’s Deal approval process.
Office Coordination Responsibilities include assisting with the following:
- Coordinate and order supplies for the office (paper goods, kitchen supplies, etc)
- Help maintain general order and cleanliness for the office
- Receive and distribute mail
- Scan confidential documents and save to online database (SharePoint)
- Back up to screen incoming calls to the main phone line for the company
- Other light office duties as assigned and per availability
- 2 plus years of accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is preferred
- Prior experience with financial reporting systems (SAP, JD Edwards and or Deltek) is a must.
- Needs to be comfortable compiling and running reports out of reporting systems
- Advanced Excel skills. Good analytical and spreadsheet skills. Must have the ability to work with large amounts of data from multiple systems, develop ad hoc reporting and analysis (use of pivot tables and lookup formulas a plus)
- Experience working in a growing small to mid-sized professional services firm strongly preferred
- Experience operating in an international environment preferred. Understanding of exchange rates and foreign reporting requirements. (Our firm has an office in Europe)
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, act proactively and stay on top of deliverables.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines.
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), corporate financial or operational processes and financial systems/applications
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Team player, positive attitude, problem solver
- Is flexible and shows adaptability; willing to try new things; works well in fast-paced work environment
Physical and Location Requirements:
- Ability to work in the office on a regular basis (9 am to 6 pm, Monday through Friday)
- Upon hire, candidate must be able to successfully pass background and drug test
Please apply here: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=9692821