There are three key things that we look for:
- You need to be very smart and able to learn quickly.
- You need to have at least a few years of mobile development experience (through work or personal projects).
- You need to be able to architect robust, maintainable systems, not just hack together code for one-off projects.
You will be working closely with our design and backend teams to help bring beautiful, usable, and fast mobile designs to life. The server side is written in Python on Django, with a MySQL database. In addition we use Node.js and SockJS for our real time components and recently created a shiny new REST API. Our systems all run on Amazon Web Services.
You should be comfortable with most of the following:
- Current knowledge with either Android or iOS programming (or both!)
- Mobile network programming (client-server)
- REST APIs
- Automated unit and integration testing
We think the best sign of a good developer is interesting projects they’ve done. Tell us your about the cool stuff you’ve built!
About Top Hat:
Top Hat is a high growth education technology company; we provide tools to make teaching more interactive, fun and engaging. Top Hat helps professors make every lecture count by transforming mobile devices into powerful classroom engagement tools.
We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, thinkers, and creative geniuses. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us.
The fabulous life on the Top Hat engineering team comes with other sweet perks too.
- Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart, highly motivated & stoked to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
- We have hackathons, where developers get to spend time working on ideas that they’re super passionate about.
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- We offer breakfast and catered lunch every day!
- Oh, and did we mention Streetfighter throw-downs at lunch?
- We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named one of the Top 50 Companies to Watch by Deloitte Consulting)
- Our dress code is casual and we hope you’ll get behind our Top Hat traditions of Plaid Tuesdays and Tip Top Fridays