Schoology is one of the fastest growing education technology companies, with more than 10 million users across the world. We have redefined the learning management system to make online education a community effort between students, teachers, and parents.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We need smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren’t afraid to show it.
What to expect + our technology stack / environment:
Our Linux based infrastructure is comprised of several hundred servers (mostly CentOS) running in the Rackspace cloud. It has doubled in size each of the last few years. Given our explosive user growth and adoption, we expect it to triple this year alone. We want you to help us scale this infrastructure, which supports our award-winning application, Schoology, to support this growth. We are also transitioning to Amazon Web Services, so you’ll be a critical player in helping us with this transition. In order to meet the demands of this expansion and migration, we’re using Chef to automate the provisioning of our servers.
Our software engineers are using a whole host of tools, including Bamboo for continuous integration and Git for version control and source code management. We expect you partner with them to manage and administer these tools, in addition to all the other pieces of our technical stack (Apache, PHP, Memcache, MySQL, Nginx, MongoDB, Redis).
- Support and manage our database, networking, firewall and system level security systems.
- Optimize and troubleshoot performance issues for our databases, which include MySQL, Redis, and MongoDB.
What you need to know:
- System administration of RHEL-based Linux systems.
- Cloud or virtualization systems such as Rackspace, AWS or VMware.
- Common scripting languages such as Bash and Python or Ruby.
- Configuration management with Chef.
- Basic SQL and MySQL database administration skills.
- Distributed version control and source code management with Git/Mercurial.
- Understanding of firewalls and load balancers such as Cisco ASA and F5.
- Security maintenance and integrity of directories, files, and data stored electronically.
- Troubleshooting with advanced research skills for finding answers to specific questions and issues.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience with scripting and coding.
- Minimum of 4+ years’ experience with system administration, web server configuration, monitoring, trending, network design and high availability systems.
What we’d like — aka bonus points:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- RHCE certification.
- Strong interpersonal and professional workplace communication skills.
- A self-starter who thrives in a fluid, fast-paced, evolving environment.
Schoology is the education technology company transforming the learning process by engaging educators, students and advisors with a more personalized, collaborative experience. More than nine million people from 60,000 K-12 schools and universities around the world use Schoology to transform how they teach and learn.