Schoology is one of the fastest growing education technology companies, with more than 10 million users across the world. We have redefined the learning management system to make online education a community effort between students, teachers and parents.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren’t afraid to show it.
How many companies can say that their CEO and CTO are technical co-founders? Schoology can! Engineering is our life-blood. We are a high-growth company, founded by a group of world-class entrepreneurs and engineers.
What we expect:
- We expect you to command respect with both your technical chops and your leadership skills by leading by example. You won’t devote 100% of your time to coding, but the expectation is that you will still contribute to the code-base.
- You will be responsible for managing and mentoring software engineers at varying levels of experience, as well as motivating them and helping them grow their careers. In our agile “squad” environment, you also need to be an excellent team player.
- We expect you to contribute to technical direction and architecture, including evaluating the potential of integrating the use of single page web app technologies with the Schoology platform.
- We expect you to be involved with recruiting – help us hire more leads and developers like you!
The initiatives you could lead development on include:
- Developing our assessments offerings. Think online grading, testing/evaluation and benchmarking tools for our educators.
- Building a brand new content marketplace for our educators and students. Until now, Schoology has been a platform to store, distribute and share educational content. You’ll help educators and students discover new content with the development of new marketplace.
- Strengthening the power of our analytics platform in order to provide users with the insights they need to make actionable decisions for all levels of education.
More about you:
- You have developed high performance, highly scalable web applications. Our web app is used by over 9 million educators, students and parents worldwide.
- You have led teams of various sizes for at least a year.
- You have at least five years experience and expertise developing in one or more of the following languages: PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, GO or node.js.
- You have experience developing at all levels of the technology stack, with particular focus on the back-end.
- You have experience working with web services (e.g. REST, SOAP).
- You have met aggressive deadlines in a rapid application development environment. We’re a startup after all!
- You have superior communications and organization skills — you’re going to be leading a team, so this is essential.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with LAMP-based (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) development
- Familiarity with Laravel
- Familiarity with MongoDB and/or Redis
- A degree in Computer Science or another relevant program.
Schoology is the education technology company transforming the learning process by engaging educators, students and advisors with a more personalized, collaborative experience. More than nine million people from 60,000 K-12 schools and universities around the world use Schoology to transform how they teach and learn.