Have you been an engineer for a large company where you feel like a cog in the wheel?
Have you wanted to build products that help people directly in meaningful ways?
I’m Daniel, Co-Founder of Goalbook, and we’re looking for a creative and versatile engineer to join our team and growing company. At Goalbook, we’re using technology to solve one of the most difficult and systemic challenges facing the K-12 education system: empowering educators to transform their instruction for 21st century learning. We know that technology is not an end in itself, but a critical component of how we can change how teachers are trained, supported, and empowered so that they can help all students succeed.
We partner with over 300 school districts across 45 states, and we’re recognized for our thought leadership around intuitive technology, instructional quality, and teacher development. Goalbook was founded by former teachers and district administrators, Daniel Jhin Yoo and Justin Su, was a member of ImagineK12’s first cohort, and the first company to be funded through New Schools Venture Fund’s Seed Fund.
You’ll take the lead in ensuring that our products and internal tools are highly responsive and dependable, so that thousands of educators who rely on our tools trust us. You’ll help us continuously innovate on our development process and toolchain, AWS deployment and architecture, system monitoring, and user analytics. We’ll rely on you to work collaboratively within the larger product team to help design and implement back-end APIs and data models, and contribute to product design and customer development. You’ll be involved in all stages of the product development process, from conducting user interviews with teachers and administrators to educating our Partnerships and Success teams about new product features.
Are you looking to feel inspired and excited every day?
• Lead the design and development of back end components of our products and applications
• Lead changes in our development/deployment processes and optimize our toolchain
• Implement and improve system administration/monitoring capabilities
• Collaborate and participate in strategic initiatives that impact the entire organization across sales, marketing, content, and professional services
• Competitive salary and early-stage equity
• Full medical, dental, and vision coverage
• Small team culture and true ownership of work. Your ideas matter
• A truly motivated, passionate, talented and fun team. We’re collectively interested in helping you grow in your career
• Open vacation policy. Take personal time off and work from home as needed
• Located in downtown San Mateo near Caltrain with a bottomless supply of snacks, drinks, and good times
Required Skills & Experience
• 2+ years of software development experience (Go and Ruby preferred)
• Built, deployed, and maintained a full-stack web application
• Linux server administration (e.g. Ubuntu, CoreOS, Docker)Server monitoring and user analytics (e.g. Nagios, Logstash/Kibana)
• You love to code, learn the latest technologies and have projects you are tinkering on for fun
• Passion for tackling the most challenging issues in K-12 education
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Experience with configuration management tools (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
• Experience with continuous integration (e.g. CircleCI, Jenkins, Drone.io)
Reach out to Daniel Jhin Yoo at firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and resume, LinkedIn profile, and how you heard about us. Applicants will not be considered without a cover letter.