The Director of Finance & Administration will be a strategic thought partner to the President & CEO and work closely with other members of the Executive Management Team and the Board of Directors. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead an internal team to support the following areas: finance, budgeting, human resources, administration, facilities & operations and IT for Taproot Foundation, a 50 employee organization with a $6.2 million operating budget.
- Financial Operations. Manages the accounting function, including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and cash flow. Negotiates and manages working relationships with financial & banking entities, and negotiates appropriate credit lines. Oversee the management of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments.
- Financial Reporting. Maintains timely and accurate financial statements, forecasts and budget reports that are in accordance with nonprofit generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Ensures all annual, quarterly, and periodic filings to national, state, and local entities are completed. Oversees revenue recognition and tracking. Prepares all supporting information for the annual audit, responsible for managing audit and tax returns processes and filings. Assists the CEO and the Chair of the Finance Committee with financial analysis and reporting as required.
- Financial Planning. Monitors financial performance by developing forecasts; measuring results; analyzing variances; suggesting corrective actions; developing improvement plans. With the management team, develops and maintains an annual operating plan for executing on strategy. Leads an internal process for engaging/educating departmental staff on monthly financial performance, resource allocation, and annual budget preparation/revision. Provides strategic thinking regarding how to capture, analyze and present key data and processes in order to meet strategic priorities and fundraising goals.
- Compliance. Ensures that recordkeeping and record retention in the organization complies with applicable laws, regulations, and contractual obligations. Ensures full compliance with grant requirements, funder covenants, and governmental regulations.
- Process Management. Ensures compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures. Identifies and undertakes opportunities inside the Finance department for process improvement, cost reduction and systems enhancement that lead to improvements in productivity, quality and customer service for internal and external customers.
- Risk Management. Maintains the corporate insurance portfolio including D&O, E&O, property, health, disability, and workers compensation.
- Office Administration. Oversees and supervises the administrative function of the organization including property/facility management, safety of the work environment, and provision of furnishings and equipment necessary for effective operations.
- Human Resources. Taproots staff is our most critical asset. This role will oversees the HR function, including recruitment and retention of staff, benefits and performance management process. The Director will work with our board HR Task Force and other members of the Executive Management team to develop and implement employee engagement and professional development policies, diversity and inclusion policies and think strategically about how to maintain and enhance Taproot’s unique culture. Includes oversight of our annual staff retreat.
- Staff Management. Manages staff and contractors in Finance and Administration. Maintains a supportive team-based work environment, and utilizes open and participative decision-making processes. Ensures appropriate cross-training is undertaken for all essential departmental functions. Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that staff are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Information Technology. Oversee development of effective facility and IT contracts and relationships. Manages internal and outsourced IT resources.
- Board Committees. Functions as a staff representative to the Board Finance and Audit Committees. Provides the Finance Committee with periodic reports on the financial performance of the organization; works closely with chair in preparing financial materials for Board review. Responsible for presentation of financial statements to the Board and its committees, and responding to related inquires & requests for additional information/analysis.
- Ten years’ progressively increasing responsibility in financial management and accounting, operations, and human resources. At least two years managing finance at a nonprofit organization with an annual budget of at least $5m. Thorough understanding of fund accounting required. Multi-site experience highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Experience reporting to and interacting with the Board of Directors and Finance and Audit committees required.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and flexible working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Excellent written, verbal communication skills; strategic and analytical thinker.
- Proficiency with Excel software required; familiarity with the FundEZ accounting package and Salesforce preferred.
- Commitment to Taproot mission and values.
- Impeccable integrity.
About Taproot Foundation
Taproot is a national nonprofit organization that makes business talent available at no cost to organizations working to improve society. We operate out of five US cities: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, and Washington DC and increasingly focus across the United States and globally. Our mission is to drive social change by leading, mobilizing and engaging professionals in pro bono service. We engage the nation’s millions of business professionals in pro bono consulting through a spectrum of services anchored by our award-winning Service Grant program and by partnering with companies and national organizations to develop their own internal pro bono programs through our Advisory Services practice. One day, we envision that all organizations with promising solutions will be well equipped to successfully take on urgent social challenges.