We are seeking a full-time Career Coach in New York City.
Many of the students who come through the campus doors at GA are taking courses to change careers. The Career Coach is responsible for providing a personalized goal setting and job seeking experience for these students. This includes one-on-one coaching sessions and week-over-week content delivery of our Outcomes Programming, which helps our web development students identify their strengths and to execute on a full-time job search strategy.
The Role: Web Development Immersive Career Coach in New York
The goal of the Career Coach is to ensure that our web development students are supported as they think about their next professional endeavor, to prepare graduates to be confident in their job search, and to make sure that student expectations surrounding the job search are managed closely.
Core activities include — but are not limited to — the following:
- Coach & Counselor – Work with our web development students to provide subject matter expertise around the web development job search in New York City. Motivate students to take control of their own job search through expectation setting and clear communication. Help students identify their personal goals to best impact their job search and educational experience.
- Instructor and Connector - Responsible for delivering job-search-focused curriculum during the web development immersive class to ensure that students are prepared for the job search upon graduation. Understand the strengths and career goals of each student to provide referrals to hiring partners.
- Risk Management – Track student progress and notify appropriate parties when a student isn’t doing well or falling out of communication. Also, ensure that we are putting quality, qualified graduates into our community.
Skills/Qualifications | What we are looking for:
- Previous technical recruiting experience.
- Familiarity with the technical world; previous industry experience.
- Engaging and comfortable in one-on-one settings.
- Able to give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional and life backgrounds.
- Awareness of job market and breadth of opportunities.
- Previous personal job search experience, and an ability to be relatable.
- Resourceful; able to pull educational resources from the community and to tailor meetings based on graduate needs.
- Highly organized and data conscious.
- High emotional intelligence; able to empathize with others and can handle other people’s stress.
- Passion for Education and Technology.
- Experience working with or in a startup (comfortable in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment).
About General Assembly
At General Assembly, we are creating a global community of individuals empowered to pursue work they love, by offering full-time immersive programs, long-form courses, and classes and workshops on the most relevant skills of the 21st century – from web development and user experience design, to business fundamentals, to data science, to product management and digital marketing. Established in early 2011 as an innovative community in New York City for entrepreneurs and startup companies, General Assembly is an educational institution that transforms thinkers into creators through education in technology, business and design at fourteen campuses across four continents.