The AppNexus Discovery team in San Francisco is focused on solving programmatic guaranteed buying from the ground up. This is an area of programmatic buying that is not currently addressed by the industry. You will be working to create a robust backend systems for managing the media planning and purchasing processes for our clients, as well as helping to drive the implementation architecture, workflow, and reporting services and APIs.
Your mission will be to automate processes that are complex and dynamic. You will have a chance to fully utilize your creativity and technical skills to come up with solutions to make complex seem simple and easy to our users.
Consider some sample problems we tackle every day:
Overcoming complexity challenges: how do we manage and streamline processes that are dynamic and open ended, where customization is the norm rather then the exception while making it simple and intuitive?
Core development challenges:
- Creating RESTful APIs that are fast, scalable, flexible, and extensible.
- Leveraging mature open source technologies (such as Python, Django, Memchache, Solr, and others) to increase uptime and reduce latency.
- Developing an integration platform for combining data and coordinating multiple disparate 3rd party and in house system.
- Building a highly customizable analytics platform that can scale while remaining fast and intuitive to use.
- Creating systems that anticipate user actions and improve the more data and usage they experience.
The most exciting part about working at SF Discovery team at AppNexus is the enormous potential for personal and professional growth. We run like an independent start up in a larger fast-growing market leader. You will work closely with other developers, product managers, and operations to create a whole new class of products and technologies. Your contribution will be direct and immediate. We operate in a continuous release cycle, meaning new features are added weekly without ever taking our systems completely offline. We have too many large problems not to trust new developers with enormous responsibility. Join our team, and you have the opportunity to redefine an industry and your career.
This is a unique opportunity to create a new class of products for the advertising industry. You will be part of a team that functions like an independent start-up although it’s part of a fast-growing industry leader. You will have a chance to help create industry-changing technology, solve some really hard and interesting problems, learn/teach, and have fun along the way.
- BA/BS degree and 5+ years of experience OR MS degree and 1+ years of experience in software engineering (Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred)
- Design and develop components and features that cover analytics, RESTful APIs, and integration with 3rd party systems
- Work closely with UI developers, product management, and ops to create solutions to help our users
- Define and help run operational infrastructure
- Develop unit tests and other test automation to validate your code
- Ability to tackle complex problems that might not have an obvious solution
- Willingness to learn and adapt new technologies as they are needed
- Ability to work in a cross functional team including other backend developers, UI developers, product management and ops to solve problems
- Hands on experience building robust systems dealing with large data volumes and fast response times
- Familiarity with building RESTful APIs
- Experience with analytics, data warehousing or similar technologies
- Hands on knowledge of Python (or Java, C, C++ and interest in developing in Python) and SQL
- Background in analytics or data science is a plus
What we look for:
- You are passionate about and thrive in a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others.
- You are the type of person who takes risks when looking for novel and creative solutions to complex problems. If faced with roadblocks, you continue to reach higher because you want to make greatness happen.
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build complete and long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem.
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing the knowledge and tools to build better businesses and solutions for themselves.
- You want to be part of an organization with a transparent and agile environment where you can communicate freely and openly.
What’s in it for you:
- Significant impact: AppNexus is a pioneer and leader in the advertising technology industry. Be a part of the team that is building bold solutions to some of today’s most exciting technical challenges.
- Global presence: AppNexus has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, London, Paris, Hamburg, Toronto, Sydney, and Singapore.
- Regular access to industry events: The AppNexus New York “Razzle Dazzle” space hosts regular events featuring the brightest minds from technology, media and business.
- Highly competitive benefits package: Design the coverage right for you with subsidized health, dental and vision insurance coverage from day one, fully vested employer-matched 401(k), company-seeded health savings accounts, back-up childcare, pet insurance, and much more.
- Career development opportunities: AppNexus offers a variety of internally-developed learning sessions, customized workshops, and robust professional development programs to help you strengthen your potential, develop new skills, and grow your career.
- Social and interactive events and opportunities just for AppNexians! Look forward to events like the Annual Summer Field Day and Family BBQ, in-house exercise classes, Take Your Kids to Work Day, end-of-year holiday party, annual blood drive, “Do Good” service partnerships and charitable opportunities, and team-building events.
- And, of course, free food: Every office has a fully stocked kitchen featuring healthy and tasty snacks, drinks, and coffee throughout the day. On “Family Lunch Fridays” AppNexus provides free lunch for the company.