Meetup is seeking an ace API Engineer to work on a multiplatform product that has brought 15 million people together all over the world. It turns out that people have a deep, innate human desire to connect and so we’ve grown like crazy! In reshaping Meetup for the mobile, global future, we need you and your API artistry.
The Meetup API allows members and organizers to write software extensions to their local community. Some examples: the Photography Meetups use the API to create photo browsers tailored to their needs, large outdoor groups have built their own platform to keep their members active, and data scientists consume and analyze Meetup’s public data streams.
In addition to the global interaction with our API, over a quarter of Meetup members use our native apps to find and connect with communities that matter to them. This activity flows directly through the API platform which means you also get to collaborate with our awesome mobile team to craft member experiences that echo the amazing feeling of going to a great meetup!
The Meetup backend is a hybrid JVM stack including Scala, Python, and Java. New API methods are implemented in Unfiltered. As an engineer on the API team you’ll bring your ideas to life primarily in Scala and work alongside collaborative team members to build the next generation of our site.
You’re our ideal team member if you:
- Love what you do!
- Possess deep experience programming HTTP networked systems
- Have a solid background in Scala and working knowledge of Python and Java
- Exhibit a passion for good API design and performance
- Have experience with relational databases and understanding of SQL
- Obsess over detail and a feeling of pride and ownership over quality
- Are a user of the Meetup API. (We welcome your constructive feedback and eagerly await a list of things you want to tackle when you get here!)
- State your opinions and contribute to a lively decision-making process
- Like to learn new things, mentor and share knowledge with team members
- Are thrilled at the thought of helping grow local communities across the world
Our team is smart, ambitious, supportive and, above all, we’re excited by what we do! We meet regular deadlines and focus on quick, quality completion of projects and a relaxed and fun environment.
Meetup is the world's largest network of local groups. Meetup makes it easy for anyone to organize a local group or find one of the thousands already meeting up face-to-face. More than 9,000 groups get together in local communities each day, each one with the goal of improving themselves or their communities. Meetup's mission is to revitalize local community and help people around the world self-organize. Meetup believes that people can change their personal world, or the whole world, by organizing themselves into groups that are powerful enough to make a difference.